The Museum of Our Industrial Heritage is located in the heart of Greenfield in the Newell Snow factory building, a site of continuous industrial use on the Green River since John Parson's sawmill of 1690. Founded by local resident Leon Weeks and incorporated in 1998 as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, the museum celebrates and preserves the industrial history of the upper Connecticut River valley and hilltowns of Massachusetts, with exhibits, collections, archives and programming. On display are items from the pioneering cutlery of John Russell, the American who dared compete against the powerful British industry;also, early taps and dies from Wiley & Russell and Wells Brothers, the first companies to manufacture John Grant's patent, the hallmark of the modern machine thread industry; inventions from Chauncy Wing & family, local invention pioneers, and many more. Artifacts from dozens of companies make our collection a rich source for understanding our past and inspiring a future rich with innovation. Walk along the river to the 1836 timber crib Wiley & Russell dam. Find an enormous selection of fabrics for quilters at the Textile Co. across the street at Power Square.

Visit Our Site

Museum of Our Industrial Heritage


2 Mead Street, Greenfield, MA 01301

Related Inspiration


A statewide collection of 24 diverse works of art, from oil paintings to taxidermy frogs…

Want to see more?

Search All Listings