America is poised for an anniversary of national and international significance, the 400th commemoration of the Mayflower voyage and the founding of Plymouth Colony. The Plymouth 400 Anniversary will highlight the cultural contributions and American traditions that began with the interaction of the Wampanoag and English peoples, a story that significantly shaped the building of America.
- Plymouth 400, Inc. is planning Signature Events and Programs honoring this historic Anniversary – America’s story of exploration, innovation, self-governance, religious expression, and thanksgiving; the legacies sparked by these historic events and that continue today as cornerstones of our nation.
- Signature Events and Programs will include historical and cultural exhibitions, live televised and web events, multi-day festivals, original arts and entertainment collaborations and educational programming and resources. Signature Events and Programswill take place through 2020.
200th Birthday of Susan B. Anthony & 100th Anniversary of the Women’s Suffrage Movement
February – August 2020, Adams
The Susan B. Anthony Birthplace is proud to coordinate 100 events throughout Massachusetts to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of Women’s Suffrage. The 19th Amendment to the Constitution is the Susan B Anthony Amendment. It is named in honor of America’s leading woman suffrage leader, Susan B. Anthony who was born in Western Massachusetts in 1820, making her exactly 200 years old in the Suffrage Centennial year. A monumental celebration beginning on Susan B. Anthony’s 200th birthday and ending on the 100th anniversary of the 19th amendment that granted women the right to vote.
Mayflower Sails 2020
May 14-19, 2020, Boston
With the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower landing, the Mayflower Sails 2020 will commemorate this historic event in which the Mayflower ship brought the first English Puritans to Plymouth. After a $20 million 3 year restoration project, the Mayflower looks to set sail for the first time.
150Th Anniversary, The Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Memorial Hall Museum
For the 150th Anniversary of the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, the celebrations will be spread out.
- The first one will be at the end of February where they will have an expanded Commemoration of the French and Indiana Attack on Deerfield in 1704 memorializing that event was the spark that led to the founding of PVMA;
- In May, their incorporation month, there will be a 19th Century Field Meeting” on the lawn of Memorial Hall Museum with period music and activities;
- On the 4th of July they will have an expanded 4th of July band concert (on the actual 4th);
- In September 2020, they will have a Monumental Celebration. PVMA’s earliest activity before they had a museum was placing monuments around Franklin County. In the 1870-1880’s that was high tech communication. The recently restored Civil War Monument on the Deerfield Common was the inspiration for that. This may be the event location.
- There will be a special exhibit at Memorial Hall Museum May-October 2020. Additional details TBD.